SOC Automated Windows Testing Project

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Wed May 31 16:59:48 GMT 2006

Brad wrote on 05/31/2006 11:48:10 AM:

[lots of stuff removed]

> I did this mostly as an example of how to do it, but also because it's
> way easier to do with net.exe than with the WMI api :)

If you (anyone..) is doing WMI coding, a neat tool is scriptomatic,
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=09dfc342-648b-4119-b7eb-783b0f7d1178&DisplayLang=en)
although I'm not sure it is going to have the interfaces you need.  1) it
makes the code for you from a template 2) it knows enough about the
interfaces that you can use the GUI to find the query/operation you want
to do.

MS says:
A completely new version of the famous Scriptomatic, the utility that
writes WMI scripts for you. (And, in the process, teaches you the
fundamental concepts behind writing WMI scripts for yourself.) Unlike its
predecessor, Scriptomatic 2.0 isn’t limited to writing just VBScript
scripts; instead, Scriptomatic 2.0 can write scripts in Perl, Python, or
JScript as well.

ssh, etc. would work, but I wonder how much coding would need to be done
to allow Samba clients to do a wmi.run to a remote windows system.

I did find one web page that looked promising "it is based on the Windows
Management Instrumentation (WMI) object model. ... The server in Carter's
implementation consists of Samba running on a Sparc ..."
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa-nt98/summaries.html

But Jerry was talking about a different subject.

Bill Marshall
Rochester PC Server Team