SOC gui projects: qooxdoo?

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at samba.org
Mon May 29 21:51:33 GMT 2006

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 03:52:59PM -0400, derrell at samba.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't been tracking the SOC projects very carefully, but I believe I saw
> reference to a new SWAT for Samba4.  If someone is actually working on that,
> and there are thoughts of using qooxdoo, I've been tracking qooxdoo very
> closely the past few months, and have recently begun working with it
> directly.  Although I'm _far_ from being an expert, I may be able to assist if
> there are qooxdoo questions.  It's definitely a cool environment for quickly
> developing nice GUIs for web-based applications!

Yes, qooxdoo is considered seriously and it will probably be toolkit of choice
to create many parts of SWAT. SOC project will probably focus a bit more on
ejs interface for libnet functions which is where I'm going to work closely
with our student. This is the first thing needed to work further on GUI. There
should be enough time to do it.

> If you are going to use qooxdoo, I recommend using the latest branch in
> qooxdoo's svn, called "namespaces".  The previous versions are not really
> being actively supported, thus my recommendation against using them at this
> point.  For reference, the version used last summer by Tridge was 0.1, and the
> currently released version is 0.5x (0.52, I think).  0.1 is *very* obsolete.
> The namespaces branch has a number of new features beyond what 0.5x provided,
> along with providing new names for each function so that it is entirely
> namespace clean.  It is the only branch under current development.

Thanks, Derrell. I'll have a look at the new version, as I'm particularly
interested in this way of building GUI for samba management. Does this mean
there're couple of branches with only one being actually developed ?

> The namespaces branch includes JSON and JSON-RPC code which should be very
> apropos to a SWAT-type project.

What are these for ? I mean, I've had a glance over the web of what is it,
but nothing more really.

cheers,
--
Rafal Szczesniak