SOC gui projects: qooxdoo?

Deryck Hodge deryck at samba.org
Sun May 28 12:51:48 GMT 2006

On 5/27/06, derrell at samba.org <derrell at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't been tracking the SOC projects very carefully, but I believe I saw
> reference to a new SWAT for Samba4.  If someone is actually working on that,
> and there are thoughts of using qooxdoo, I've been tracking qooxdoo very
> closely the past few months, and have recently begun working with it
> directly.  Although I'm _far_ from being an expert, I may be able to assist if
> there are qooxdoo questions.  It's definitely a cool environment for quickly
> developing nice GUIs for web-based applications!

Hi, Derrell.

This is not meant for or against the use of qooxdoo, merely as a general
note about SWAT direction, based on my experience of working on Samba4
SWAT.

I would recommend that Sreepathi create the HTML elements used in the
user manager independent of any JavaScript toolkit or framework.  Before
he can do any UI work, he'll need the EJS/ESP plumbing in place to make
a user manager possible.  I would focus on this first and worry about GUI
specifics later.

Even if everyone agrees that qooxdoo is the best choice for SWAT's UI,
I'd still recommend the above approach -- server-side work first, then UI --
so that there is still useful user manager code that can be implemented
within any UI framework.

Cheers,
deryck