New configuration backends for Samba 3 SoC project

simo idra at samba.org
Sun May 28 01:00:29 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 15:12 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Most of the lp_XXX() functions can be wrapped around
> a simple query call.  The main hurdles are smb.conf
> variables and the include parameter.

A careful analysis on lp_XXX() calls need to be made.
In some places we call lp_XXX() quite much as we knew they were just
references to in memory strings.
We can't move to querying a db for each retrieval without suffering
major performance issues.

We may end up requiring a cache system to not destroy performances.
(Think of how much lp_workgroup() is used (more than 200)).

> In an ideal world we could have a virtual registry
> for configuration that could be pulled from multiple
> data sources: advanced options in a registry (I know
> I'll get flamed for that comment) and the admin friendly
> ones in the normal configuration file/backend.
>
> Even if we don't end up using libelektra, I'd like to
> have an abstracted interface rather than hard coding
> ldb calls.  And since ldb is still in flux some, it's
> probably safer to localize the ldb calls as much as
> possible.

Jerry, the ldb api is not going to change that much and certainly not
the ldb syntax (which is in the end the ldap syntax).
Anyway, I think that for a registry style interface a simpler API make
sense. You just need to get set very specific and wellknown values, no
need for the powerful but complex ldap filter syntax or to fiddle with
ldif style programming to change a value.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer