New Samba 3 messaging implementations

Aleksey Fedoseev fedoseev at ru.ibm.com
Tue May 23 11:07:34 GMT 2006

Hi Team!

We are working on implementing Samba 3 for clusters. I've published the
introduction, several clustering problems and proposed decisions (they
were inspired by Volker's work) on the Samba wiki:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Clustered_Samba.

Any cluster implementation has to be based on some kind of messaging.
The first step we planned is to implement socket-based (or any
non-local) messaging in the trunk/samba-3 branch - upon that we'll be
able to extend the messaging with tcp- or any other transport like MPI
for cluster version of Samba.

Our messaging research is published on the wiki:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Messaging. There three messaging
implementations (tdb-based, unix-dgram-sockets from Samba4 and
unix-stream-sockets) are listed, benchmarked and compared. Patches to
the current Samba 3 branch can be downloaded there.

The main quesion is - what messaging extension can be added to trunk
branch, so we'll continue clustering research and shall implement
messaging-based locking for clusters?..

--
Aleksey Fedoseev
Linux Center of Competence, IBM EE/A