dead records in locking.tdb (was: Locking database cleanup?)

Steve Williams steve at celineandsteve.com
Sat May 20 05:28:50 GMT 2006

Daniel Coletti wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I'm having a problem that's been addressed (last month) in this
> list[0], since I read the post from the list's archives I can't reply
> this particular email, so excuse me for breaking the thread.
>
> [0] http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2006-April/046346.html
>
> In this discussion -about dead records in the locking.tdb file- Jeremy
> kindly responded ...
> ``As part of the validation
> process when reading a record containing open and locking info,
> we validate the pid associated with that record by sending it
> a zero signal. If we get an ESRCH (no such process) error back
> we delete the record.
>
> So long as pid's don't wrap this should be robust.
> ´´

[snip]

I thought I would point out that this approach fails miserably on
OpenBSD (and other OS's??), which has "randomized" PID's.  This has
bitten myself on multiple occasions, and I believe it even affected
Sendmail.  I just thought I'd point this out, that relying on the
historical "PID's always increment" premise eventually bites one in the
posterior, in a random, very hard to predict/troubleshoot way!

In this case, the log files might reflect the process died, but the KILL
signal finds a process.. how could that be?  It was someone's shell that
logged in afterwards, and by coincidence got the same PID as the process
that terminated abnormally.

Just a heads up..

Cheers,
Steve Williams