impact of CP850/IBM850 support missing?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed May 17 13:48:43 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 09:34 -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> OpenVMS currently does not have character set support for CP850 or IBM850.
>
> What is the impact to SAMBA V3 about this?
CP850 is the default DOS codepage (at least on Samba3) and is the codepage in use on most DOS installations. Usage from older Windows versions and DOS with special characters becomes rather limited for most people without CP850. I guess you could live with ASCII if you're not going to use older clients.

(This is all AFAIK, I'm not much of an expert on encoding/charset
issues, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Cheers,

Jelmer