[samba4] expected libnet functionality

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at samba.org
Tue May 9 21:06:33 GMT 2006

I'm going to sort out some of libnet functions so that the API
looks more consistent and easier to comprehend. I've outlined
basic functionality I would currently expect and it goes like
the following (potential parameters are surrounded by braces):

libnet context (credentials)
 * provision a new domain (domain params)
 * join a domain (name)
 * migrate existing domain (name)
 * change local secrets
 * domain users (domain name)
   - create (username, in underlying system too)
   - delete (username, in underlying system too)
   - modify (username, in underlying system too)
 * fileshares (server name)
   - create (sharename, path, in underlying system too)
   - delete (sharename, path, in underlying system too)
   - modify (sharename, path, in underlying system too)
 * time (server name)
   - get
   - set

So far this tree was sort of in my mind, but I think it's better
to ask what's missing or unnecessary before taking any action.
As this is going to shape the way libnet, net and ejsnet are to be
used, it's rather important that the structure above was sensible.
For instance, in case of ejsnet, this is likely to result in a few
"subcontexts" of libnet (NetContext) to reach "subfunctionality"
(eg. users management).

Any other concepts/ideas ?

cheers,
--