Samba v3.0.21c

Tim Judd tjudd2k at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 14:38:17 GMT 2006

--- Marc Balmer <marc at msys.ch> wrote:

> * Tim Judd wrote:
> > OpenBSD documentation doesn't recommend rebuilding the kernel
> and/or
> > world -- They're saying in extreme cases, should someone redo their
> > system.
>
> you are right.  but today -current becomes tomorrows -release.

Excellent!

I'll check the new version; in hopes it fixes the problem

I'll post again to technical, but I found an odd occurence..

setting max open files in the smb.conf to a (relatively) low number,
openbsd's default "free open filehandles" is about 1750, so I set max
open files to 600.  Seems to be working enough to prevent the system
from physically locking up the computer hard enough to force a hard
reset.  It will lapse, though, and still give errors out, but it'll fix
the problem itself, and samba then continues to run.

Thank you all for your time and advice, I'll look into OpenBSD 3.9 this
weekend.