smb_register_exit_event went AWOL

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Wed May 3 01:18:25 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 17:20 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:01:37AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > Volker?  The check comment says "remove unused code".
> > Do you remember the context enough to expand on that
> > a little ?
>
> Probably I did not take external modules into account, but
> none of the modules we have in-tree seemed to have used it.
>
> To be honest, that's an a bit difficult problem: Whenever we
> move around code to make functions static we change our
> module interface. This particular example might be worse
> than others, but did we really commit to a list of exported
> symbols?

No, there is no list of stable APIs that can be used by modules that I
know of. I guess this example is a borderline case since it was in
module.c and appeared to be there specifically for use by modules.

If there was no special reason for removing it, I might re-introduce it
since it provides extremely convenient semantics for me. I guess if we
were to support out-of-tree modules, we would have to carefully
enumerate an ABI and do something to force modules to stick to it.

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org