disable smbstatus?

Mark Proehl M.Proehl at science-computing.de
Tue May 2 14:04:32 GMT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 08:54:13AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> >> WARNING: lock directory /var/lib/samba/
> >> should have permissions 0755 for browsing to work
> >
> > Hmmm. Ah yes, anonymous smbd access is needed for
> > the browse.dat file I think.
>
> I think that print queue listing will break as will since we
> open and close the files in the printing/ subdirectory upon
> demand.

so only locking.tdb should be set to 600. Currently I'm thinking about
include something like the following in the startup script for smbd:

  if [ ! -d $LOCKDIR ];  then
    mkdir -p $LOCKDIR
    chmod 0755 $LOCKDIR
  fi
  if [ ! -e $LOCKDIR/locking.tdb ]; then
    touch $LOCKDIR/locking.tdb
  fi
  chmod 0600 $LOCKDIR/locking.tdb

Is there a better solution? Could smbd be told to create locking.tdb
with mode 0600?

Mark