trying to correctly handle account passwords via ldap

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 28 02:53:05 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 18:45 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > > DRS uses application-level encryption of secret attributes in addition to
> > > the session encryption provided by the GSS-API. Nonetheless this encryption
> > > is session-specific and is in addition to the OWF obfuscation.
> >
> > And remains on my list of crypto challenges to tackle. :-)
>
> I think Luke was giving you a hint by the url he posted :-).

Yes, it is much easier to handle the application-level encryption when
you know the exact form of the data below it.  Now I can easily form a
password, and compute what the RID-encrypted form will be, I will have
an easier job (and most importantly, a success condition).

I'll take all the hints I can get.  My current guess is that a/the
session key is mixed (MD5?) with a 16 byte nonce that appears to be
prefixed/suffixed to the value, and then used to RC4 encrypt the data
(it seems to be a stream cipher).

Interestingly, the session key should be 'SystemLibraryDTC' if the
pattern on LSA and SAMR over TCP is followed.  But perhaps they get a
'real' key in there somewhere.

(This is all below the GSSAPI layer, which bulk encrypts the whole
stream).