trying to correctly handle account passwords via ldap

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 28 02:47:37 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 19:38 -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Simo Sorce <simo.sorce at quest.com> wrote:
> > As already stated these attributes should be considered internal and
> > never exposed in our schema which should contain only the AD compatibile
> > attributes.
>
>   *Please* be careful with that.  Exposing the clear-text password or
> NT hash is of extreme importance to a large number of people.  Many
> would sacrifice "perfect" AD compatibility if it meant that they could
> access the password via some schema extension.
>
>   This change could affect deployments with 10's of millions of users.
> Not Samba directly, but other applications that need the information
> AD has, and refuses to expose.  If Samba can expose the information AD
> won't, then Samba becomes *much* more useful to many, many, systems.

I strongly agree in that the administrator is the boss, not the software
developer.  We should put in place default controls to ensure that
passwords are harder to accidentally exposed, particularly over
untrusted channels, but the administrator has the absolute right to the
data in their directory.

Password lock-in has been a tool of vendor control for too many years.