Samba cluster support codebase

Tue Mar 21 17:13:56 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:47:33AM -0600, Abhijith Das wrote:
> I was told (in a discussion on the samba mailing list:
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-March/119252.html ) that
> clustering support for Samba3 is being developed and some code/patches
> exist. I was hoping to get my hands on this code to play around with
> some cluster-specific aspects of Samba. Can somebody point me to the
> right code/patches/CVS-tree where this cluster-specific code is being
> worked upon?

There's two branches where work has been done:

branches/tmp/jpeach-cluster is work done by James Peach from
SGI. It is based on 3.0.14a, parts of it are pretty
CXFS-specific.

Independently of that (I did not know he was working on it)
I started branches/tmp/vl-cluster. This is not finished
work, it contains some infrastructure work to get cluster
messaging done and have the locking.tdb api based on
messages.

It also contains some work to use files per key for
locking.tdb, which on some cluster file systems might be
faster than beating a shared file with little reads and
writes.

I mentioned that James' work is based on 3.0.14a because
while I started to look at clustering I figured that the
then-current share mode and oplock implementation makes
clustering not particularly easy. Not that it's easy now,
but Jeremy rewrote our share mode code and I did the same
for the oplock stuff.

> Also, documentation regarding what works and what needs to be

I don't know about James' branch, "mine" does not work yet,
I was interrupted with other stuff.

> implemented would be very helpful.

The main problem that we have is speed. Both on the pure
Samba side as well as in the cluster file system side. I'm
not too familiar with GFS, but I would suspect that its
strengths are in handling large files with sequential
read/write operations. Windows clients do things to the file
system that are completely contrary to that: Many
opens/closes in sequence, weird read/write patterns, wild
locking and so on. You might want to look at the routine
open_file_ntcreate in smbd/open.c. If we get that _FAST_
cluster-wide, I think most of our problems are solved. Byte
range locks are another topic, but I think (did not measure
it) would not have a dramatic effect on the overall cluster
performance if the locking daemons for brlocks are
well-spread.

Volker