CIFS: some problems

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Tue Mar 21 12:41:07 GMT 2006

Hi Steve,

I discovered two other problems with CIFS:

I'm connecting to a Samba server.

This is with the same computers as my now fixed hangs, but this time I
am trying to copy data to the server.

All the below was observed on an otherwise mostly idle machine.

With 2.6.16, the data transfer make the whole computer very sluggish,
this seems to be fixed in 2.6.16-rc6-mm2. But the following issues
remain:

When copying with "cp" or "mc" to the share and suspending the program
copying with ^Z, the data transfer seems to continue.

When running "sync" from another shell during a data transfer, the sync
hangs. After killing cifsd, "sync" returns immediately.

CIFS options in my kernel:
CONFIG_CIFS=y
# CONFIG_CIFS_STATS is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL is not set

I'm mounting with (slightly anonymized):
mount -t cifs -o user="foo",ip=11.22.33.44 //DAT/bar bar

I'm using the smbfs 3.0.21b-1 package from Debian.

I'm using an e100 network card with a 10 MBit/s connection.

Any other information I can provide for helping to debug this problem?

TIA
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed