request to remove security=share

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 14 17:50:48 GMT 2006

Well someone wanted "security = share" badly enough that they asked me to
add support for it to the Linux cifs vfs client (which I did a few months
ago).  I can see why it is easier to track passwords by share for some
types of installation and don't see any particular reason to get rid of it
on the Samba server (of course "security = user" should be the default for
the server, but it is so trivial to support seems not worth removing).

The mail thread was:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-cifs-client&m=114046172709857&w=2

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com