[nfsv4] Windows/NFSv4 ACL interoperability

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Tue Mar 14 03:19:22 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 04:04:00PM -0800, Yoder, Alan wrote:
> During the NFVv4 ACL spec writeup, I questioned the
> lack of ordering requirements for ALLOW and DENY.
> Carl Beame demonstrated to my satisfaction that
> Windows NT servers did not at that time enforce
> any such thing, and that the requirement is (was?)
> entirely client-side in Windows.

Yeah, that's my understanding too.

So the problem is just with stuff like a posix user setting a bunch of
long carefully crafted ACLs and then a Windows user not being able to
read them and blowing them away in an attempt to modify them.

To a certain extent that kind of problem may be unavoidable.  But we may
have some control over how common it is and how gracefully we fail.

--b.