Samba4 status heading to the next TP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Mar 11 10:58:17 GMT 2006

As we move along with Samba4 development, I figured it might be worth
summarising for the list what has been going on over the last two weeks,
from an observer's standpoint.

I say observer, because for a variety of circumstances (including a most
enjoyed week-long escape from reality) I've not been doing very much of
this myself.

In the past week or so, we have seen a large amount of work to
modularise the Samba4 build process, taken on by Jelmer and Metze.  In
particular, there has been an aim to create a series of Samba4 shared
libraries, on which the various binaries may depend.

At the same time, work has been done to clearly indicate which
interfaces are 'public' between the Samba4 modules and libraries.  This
includes work to mark symbols in our shared libraries as
public/private.

This has also extended to work on prototype generation, separating out
the original proto.h into each subsystem (taking advantage of the same
API marking).

While this has been a bit of a pain for groups (like OpenChange)
following our tree, it should make their projects easier in the long
run, with less need for a full Samba4 tree in their build systems.

I've also been working on some things, and I've integrated a new
lorikeet-heimdal snapshot into Samba4.

In other changes: Metze has also been working on changes to the NTVFS
layer for the creation of a SMB2 server.  Mimir has been doing work on
the async RPC layer, Tridge has been working on the filesystem change
notify mechanism, and Simo has been working on async LDB support.

I'm sure I'm not doing any of the above justice, but I know most
samba-technical readers can't keep up with the pure volume on
samba-cvs...

In talking to Jelmer I understand the goal is to release a new TP soon,
but we might wait until this fantastic rate of change has a short sleep,
and we ensure we haven't broken too much in the process...