request to remove security=share

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sat Mar 11 03:41:51 GMT 2006

Jerry,

 > It would be better to just define a ro/rw password and specify
 > the euid for accessing files/directories.  At least would be
 > easy to explain.  The current model works sometimes and doesn't
 > in other environments.

I think this would be good. It would give us "proper" share level
security, where the password is associated with the share.

I'm not as keen on the "map to user level" solutions, partly because
they can give misleading error messages. The windows net tool says
things like "please enter password for XXX at YYY" which makes sense
for user level security, but doesn't make sense for pseudo-share level
security where the server is really ignoring the username.

Cheers, Tridge