request to remove security=share

Fri Mar 10 08:23:45 GMT 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:18:46AM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Also, Samba doesn't really do share-mode auth.  It does a kludged form of
> user-mode auth and makes it work like share-mode... and it works really
> well.

Does it? I have never seen it in production. But that might
be because I never could figure out all the heuristics we
use for guessing the username. So I fear it a bit.

Another prominent use might be an appliance where the people
designing it do not want to mess with user names.

Hmmm. Probably we need to stick with it.

Volker