request to remove security=share

Fri Mar 10 08:00:48 GMT 2006

Hi, Carsten!

Removing security=share would get rid of quite a bit of ugly
code, so this sounds very appealing. However, I think there
are still quite a number of users of that out there.

One prominent use I think is to have the completely open, no
password whatsoever, file server. If we have good docs
around how to achieve this easily, then this might become a
possibility.

For that kind of move, we might ask on samba at samba.org.

Jerry, what do you think? Maybe deprecating that setting for
a while with a debug level zero message at smbd startup?

Volker