Supporting SACLs using EAs and a VFS module?

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Mar 9 16:56:02 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 10:47 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> I was thinking of writing a VFS module that stored the
> SACL into in an EA and used that auditing info to generate
> log events.  Kind of an extension to the vfs_audit that
> would all Windows admins to set what operations should be
> logged.
>
> Before I look into this some more, have you (or anyone) else
> gone down this path before and hit a dead end?

Seem there are a good number of things we can put in an EA, I still
would like to put creation time for example.

One thing we may want to do is to store this information in way
compatible to that of samba4, so that we can have a decente upgrade path
in future.

I'd also like to put a version number in the EA so that we can easily
upgrade EA contents if we need to change the format in future.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer