Improving Samba 3 automated testing

Wed Mar 1 19:17:50 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:18:42AM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Sven,  This first thing to do is to look at 'make test' in
> Samba 3.  It has the basic underpinning for automated tested.
> You could even use smbtorture from Samba 4 to do this.
> Once make test is working, we can add this to the build
> farm scripts for Samba 3.

Before we get to this, some problems need to be solved.

We need to get a reference build of the Samba4 smbtorture
utility accessible by the Samba3 build farm tree. I myself
would be happy to always use the current Samba4 smbtorture,
but this means a lot closer inspection of test breakages.
They might be from Samba3 regressions as well as Samba4
smbtorture changes.

We need to put together a list of Samba4 subtests that
Samba3 is expected to pass. This is more difficult than it
might seem at first. The Samba4 torture tests are grouped
together in large bunches called from a single command.

The RAW-OPLOCK test is a good example of this. It does quite
a few tests which Samba3 is all expected to pass _if_ kernel
oplocks are turned off. If kernel oplocks under Linux are
turned on, some of the tests are expected not to pass, but
in defined ways.

Keeping this list correct might be one of the more difficult
tasks in this area.

Volker