Samba management

Thu Jun 22 14:17:54 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:56:39PM +0800, Ming wrote:
> I have read the discuss in this thread and by Volker Lendecke and
> chetan on irc  also.As  I'm currently implementing a registry like
> backend configuration in SOC, I want to make sure is this clear.Ithink
> that librpc in Samba 4 have  already done the interface thins(haven't
> read the code.). The registry and the management are two things.
> Registry configuration holding  parameters as smb.conf and provide
> interface to access them(read/write).But the management part has more
> logic things like if the user already exists when adding a new user?Is
> the share writeable when give some user write permmisions?The registry
> backend can only export simple interface help management.

For many management tasks the normal Windows RPC API already
provides good interfaces. Creating a new user is covered by
the SAMR interface for example, setting security descriptors
is another example. A very terse but quite complete
reference of what Windows already provides can be found in
the Samba4 source/librpc/idl subdirectory. User management
is in samr.idl, share management in srvsvc.idl and so on.

What we are talking about here is what the Windows RPC
interfaces can not provide because it does not have any
counterpart in the Windows world. There's tons of smb.conf
options that just don't make sense under Windows, 'store dos
attributes' would be one example here. This is where we have
to go beyond the native Windows functions. Creating a share
for example could be done via the srvsvc pipe, setting a
special per-share configuration option could then be done in
a special registry key that has magically popped up. Or for
example setting the unix-style login shell of a user could
also be done via some registry hack. So we would like to
build upon a quite rich API and provide backdoors via the
winreg pipe.

You are doing base infrastructure work for this by plugging
libelektra into this picture.

Volker