nss wrapper

Thu Jun 15 20:39:11 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:08:32PM -0600, Jim McDonough wrote:
> Well, part of the idea was to have something that was reusable in
> samba4...code that is fairly independent.  I'm not sure I'm 100% up on the
> idea of making winbind critical for testing smbd.  I'll have to think
> about that...depends on what the goal of testing it is.  Perhaps there is
> more than one nss wrapper that we'd want to do.

True.

> Perhaps we would prefix each file with 'user' or 'group'.
>
> >Or store the whole passwd info like primary
> >group?
> We can store stuff inside the files, I just wanted to be able to search on
> both users and uids without opening each file.
>
> > A TDB to me would look a lot more logical.
> I thought about a TDB, but metze convinced me that it should be manageable
> from the setup scripts, and unless we write another utility for this part
> (I don't think the existing tdbtools are a decent fit for this), it
> wouldn't be setup from the script.

Okay. Sounds reasonable. Multi-Indexing can be done by hard
links :-)

> Any solution that is not winbind-based will be fairly trivial to
> implement; this is just one potential idea (this was my interpretation of
> the discussion with metze).

It's definitely cleaner than my hack, that's for sure. And
potentially much more functional. If needed, we can always
write different backend modules, once the abstraction layer
is in proper shape.

Do you also plan to write encapsulated wrappers to
manipulate the db? The default would call out to the 'add
user script'. Hmmm. We also need to plug in the new LDAP
stuff in there. Much design space to explore :-)

Volker