[Fwd: Re: Unix socket-based messaging]

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Wed Jun 14 10:46:03 GMT 2006

(This discussion about vl-messaging and vl-cluster branches somehow went
private at some point though it should be on samba-technical@ due to a
scope of changes it introduces)

Volker,

I think it is good approach, I'd like to get this revived in
vl-messaging branch. It would be good to use it to write a daemon
replacement for tdb ('tdbd') which acts as messaging-system based
backend for the dbwrap layer and uses existing messaging abstraction in
the vl-messaging for communication between processes.

------------- Forwarded mail from Volker Lendecke ---------------------
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 04:28:24PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> As you might have found out, the two functions that connect
> smbd to locking.tdb and brlock.tdb are get_share_mode_lock()
> and brl_get_locks(). Attached find an extract from my
> cluster branch that encapsulates access to tdb's behind a
> small API that can reasonably easily be redirected to
> something else.
>
> What we need from the API for locking essentially is
> fetch/lock and release where release potentially writes.
>
> Given that we have cluster messaging soon someone (Peter?)
> might take this dbwrap api and plug the get_share_mode_lock
> and brl_get_locks functions via that api.
>
> The attached patch has two implementations of that API that
> might more or less work: Redirect to a tdb and redirect into
> a set of subdirectories with a file per key.
>
> What absolutely does NOT even compile is the abstraction of
> that API to a lockd, this is definitely to be done.

Actually sending the patch helps a lot...

Volker

/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/
ALT Linux Team                  http://www.altlinux.org/