Winbindd change password request

Alexey Kobozev cobedump at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 09:06:23 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Alexey Kobozev wrote:
>
>> Actually when I try to use net ads search to
>> retrieve user attributes from AD, I'm being prompted to enter
>> the user password.
>
> If you initialize your krb5 ticket cache, you won't be
> prompted, but based on you next comments this doesn't matter.
>

>> I'd like to have functionality like I have under
>> win32 - programmatically search the AD  and get
>> the users attributes.
>
> I thought that might be the case.  Extending winbindd for this
> is probably not the correct approach IMO.  We just need to provide
> a library for the functions we use internally in smbd.
> It's something that we are planning for the future, but will take
> some time to get there.

Actually we did a small patch to winbindd in order to try this out and
when doing it from its context I don't need to know a thing about any
credentials in order to search in any trusted AD domain. Using some
external library I'll need credentials to bind to AD.

I just though that if winbindd is already providing functionality
to work with AD, it is a right place to put some searching capabilities
in it.

Thanks.
-Alexey