Samba hangs (pthread?)

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Sun Jun 11 22:32:00 GMT 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:56:20PM +0200, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon at debian.org> writes:

> >> For LinuxThreads (ie not NPTL) it decidedly should (and will), because
> >> Samba changes its uid on oaccasion, which may result in some threads
> >> running with uid 0 and some other threads with a non-priviledged one,
> >> which in turn can cause the pthread sleep/ wakeup-mechanism, which
> >> relies on the ability of a thread to send a signal to any other thread
> >> within the same process, to fail (the signal isn't delivered to the
> >> target thread due to EPERM and the sending thread "hangs", waiting for
> >> some action to be taken because of the signal).

> > Uh, but *linking* against libpthread should not result in additional threads
> > being spawned, so this should be a non-issue for samba.

> The 'should' basically implies that you don't know if it causes
> additional threads to be spawned (and I haven't claimed that it
> does). So, instead of trying to start a row with me for providing an
> eventually useless piece of information, why don't you check if it
> does?

Huh?  It *doesn't*, on any system I've ever used.  You're the one claiming
that linking libpthread into the process causes extra threads to be spawned
even if the application never calls pthread_create() -- how about if you
back that up with references to a system that's broken in this manner if you
have them, instead of acting like a jerk towards me?

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/