Storing pipe opens in the share_mode db ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jun 8 19:09:32 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:55:44PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> I can stick the pipe opens somewhere else but it means that
> a clustered Samba won't be able to support MMC correctly.
> IMO introducing a new tdb increases the complexity of the
> code.  And without numbers to prove otherewise it is hard
> to tell the difference between reality and paranoia.  But I
> respect your opinion since you have owned the file serving
> code for longer than I've been out of college :-)

It is paranoia (and maybe also jet-lag as the plane only landed
at 8am this morning for an overnight flight - 8 hours:-), but I'm willing
to be proved wrong on this. The locking tdb actually gets
more contention that the open tdb (as we check it on every
read/write) so that wouldn't be the right tdb. The two
possibilities are the open tdb and the connection tdb.

Is it worth trying both with a large netbench/Samba4 torture run and
seeing if we can detect a problem ?

Jeremy.