Storing pipe opens in the share_mode db ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jun 8 18:16:39 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:47:16AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> OK.  I'll respect that.  I don't agree, but I'll respect
> it.  Where do you propose?  I don't want to have
> create yet another tdb plus yet another set of fetch/store
> functions for something that is essentially a file open.

Sorry. Why don't you agree ? The open file tdb is a critical
choke point for file access. Contention there slows down the
whole system. Adding pipe opens increases the contention. This
is the kind of thing that only hurts on heavily loaded systems,
but when it huts it *really* hurts.

Do you have numbers showing otherwise ? Let's get agreement
on this first before we decide where to put the needed data.

Jeremy.