[SAMBA4] Where to on the partitions module?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 29 03:38:23 GMT 2006

Simo,

I have continued to work on the partitions module, to address your
latest concerns.  The module now replicates the attributes to each
subpartition, and I have tests that check this behaviour (already being
run in make test, but not enabled globally).

I have a small issue I am chasing down, but I would like to enable the
partitions module soon.

As to your concern about the use of multiple files:  The separate files
not only assists in ensuring that the LDAP and TDB backends use as much
common code as possible, they also reduce the scope of a non-indexed
search.

With the partitions code as currently proposed, a search on an
un-indexed attribute will be limited in scope to the data that may
actually be returned.  That is, we don't scan schema or configuration
entries when searching under cn=users, because they are in a different
file.

I understand your reasoning in wanting a single file (everything in one
file was a founding tennent in ldb), but given the number of ldb
databases we already have, I simply don't see the marginal value.  On
the otherhand, to gain correct semantics with a single database, we will
have to write complex extra code to manipulate each search, to rewrite
the DN of every database entry.

Finally, we discussed the need for testing with controls, I will need
some help writing tests in that area.

Do you have any further concerns?  Can I commit the work at this point,
and we work on any remaining issue in-tree?

Thanks,