using off_t in talloc

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sat Jul 22 04:21:07 GMT 2006

Love,

 > > The correct solution is to ensure we have off_t.
 >
 > How do you know that off_t will hold the whole memory of the machine, as
 > far as I know it holds the content of an entire file.

It isn't guaranteed - but it would be very strange for a system to be
able to address more bytes in memory than in a file, whereas systems
where you can address more bytes than would not seem unusual to me at
all.

This is especially true on systems where the address space of
processes is mappped to a file (on Linux for example, /proc/PID/mem is
a file representation of the processes memory).

Cheers, Tridge