Q: winbindd, unqualfied users, & name conflicts (a.k.a "Death to 'winbind use default domain'!")

Thu Jul 20 18:52:44 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 01:46:29PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> We're given a username.  Both LINUX\foo and DOMAIN\foo
> exist so lookup_name() on either of those will succeed.
> How do you know which one is which?  A local user is
> always unqualified and a domain user may or may not be.
> How do you tell them apart?

What happens now? Looking at the code I get the impression
that we default to DOMAIN\foo. So if we get an unqualified
name, talloc_asprintf(ctx, "%s\\%s", lp_workgroup(), name),
try with that and only if that fails then do the naked
lookup_name() which has its defined order. This is a hack,
but that whole thing is.

I did not try this, so it might break horribly. But I've
looked at putting lookup_name into parse_domain_user before
and did _not_ try that yet.

Volker