Q: winbindd, unqualfied users, & name conflicts (a.k.a "Death to 'winbind use default domain'!")

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jul 20 17:51:52 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 12:37 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> First assigning the wrong groups to a user is a security
> issue.  Second, I said pull 'winbind use default domain'
> from the server code and put it in the client code.

ok so you do the translation in pam_winbindd and nss_winbindd instead of
winbindd, sounds reasonable, sorry for the misunderstanding.

> The fact is that this parameter is fundamentally broken.
> It cannot actually work correctly.  At some point (probably
> for 3.0.24) we will have to break it and move it to the
> client.  There is no way around it.

I was just worried you said you wanted to remove it, I have no objection
on just moving it in the client libraries.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer