PATCH: Support client binding to local IP and/or network devices.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Jul 18 19:32:28 GMT 2006

I have completed the first draft of the patch to allow binding to
local addresses.  Many of the binaries do not fully support this
option since I did not know a clean way to get the config info to them,
and didn't think it was really required for my needs.  As far as I can tell,
the libraries are well supported, so the applications can have support
added as needed.  smbmount and a few others *do* support the new options,
and I have tested that smbmount works as I had hoped.

The patch at the location below enables this behaviour:
http://www.candelatech.com/oss/samba_local_bind.patch

SMB client machine:
eth0 IP:  172.2.2.230  netmask 255.255.255.0
eth1 IP:  172.2.2.231  netmask 255.255.255.0
eth2 IP:  173.2.2.232  netmask 255.255.255.0

local mount dirs:
/mnt/smb1
/mnt/smb2
/mnt/smb3

SMB server is exporting share 'samba'

I want to stress the SMB server as if many SMB clients are connecting.
I can make arbitrarily many of the (virtual) interfaces on the client,
but when mounting the SMB server, I want each mount point to use a specific
interface and local IP.

With my patch applied, I can bind the smbmount process to a particular
local IP and device:

smbmount //172.2.2.2/samba /mnt/smb2 -o local_dev=eth1,local_ip=173.2.2.231,username=lanforge,password=lanforge
smbmount //172.2.2.2/samba /mnt/smb3 -o local_dev=eth2,local_ip=173.2.2.232,username=lanforge,password=lanforge

As far as I can tell, the server treats each of the mounts as separate entities,
accomplishing my goal.

I would like to see this patch included in the official samba code, and would
like your feedback on any changes needed to make that happen.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>