Combined DES salt and Keytab cleanup patch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 14 01:17:56 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 13:34 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
> > Here's the combined DES salting and Keytab cleanup.  It's
> > hard to separate the patches since they both touch the same
> > area.
> >
> > Major points of interest:
> >
> > * Figure the DES salt based on the domain functional level
> >   and UPN (if present and applicable)
> > * Only deal with the DES-CBC-MD5, DES-CBC-CRC, and RC4-HMAC
> >   keys

Why not just deal with the key as presented?  We have:

smb_krb5_get_keyinfo_from_ap_req(), which returns the enc type of the
incoming ticket.

The main issue is that of policy, we might not want to allow the
attacker to choose the encryption type we will make a key for, but it
will avoid all the silly 'iterate over clearly incorrect enc types'
stuff, and be portable to new encryption types.

Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.                   http://redhat.com