Samba printing --- why bother

malcolm malcolm at malcolm-agnew.de
Fri Jul 7 09:00:17 GMT 2006

Printing from a Windoze box to a linux printer has alway been incredibly slow
via Samba.

After I purchased a new printer it was so slow that most Window clients gave
up.

The solution is to avoid Samba alltogether and set up the printer on Windows
as an internet printer, i.e.:

http://mylinux:631/printers/raw.

Then printing is subjectively as fast remote as it is local (instead of maybe
200 - 300 times slower via Samba).

My question: since I cannot be the only one to encounter such behaviour
(google verifies that I am not alone), why don't the samba developers either
fix this bug, or disable printing over samba and recommend the internet
solution?

Malcolm Agnew