Performance testing w BackupExec, comments requested.

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Wed Jan 25 22:27:59 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:14:11PM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> Steve Langasek wrote:
> >>Ugh. That's *horrible* :-). Tempting though.... :-).
> >>No, this really is something vendors should address (IMHO).

>   Sun tries (;-)) We like to make the linker do this checking,
> actually. Interfaces have hidden numbers indicating what standard
> they're from, like SISCD_2.3 and SYSVABI_1.3 or SUNW_1.1
> If sendfile wasn't in the standard libs, you'd be linked
> to a software emulation, thusly:

Given that the bugs are all in the kernel implementation of sendfile, it
doesn't seem very practical to have a check at the ELF level.  I suppose you
could have glibc itself check the uname and bail when asked for sendfile on
an older kernel, but I don't imagine that the glibc folks would be keen to
implement such a check either. :)

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/