Performance testing w BackupExec, comments requested.

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Wed Jan 25 20:18:15 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> writes:

>> >Now I realize this is not a real world test, and it's not a very good
>> >benchmark, but why not turn sendfile back on for kernels later then
>> >2.6.15?
>
> Good point ! The problem is how do we know what kernel we're
> running on.....

Here's one option:

The uname(2) system call conforms to SVr4, SVID, POSIX, and X/OPEN but is not
available in BSD4.3.  If this call exists (configure test) and the "sysname"
field is "Linux" and the "release" field, parsed from a string like
2.6.8-2-686, shows the release to be greater than 2.6.15, then enable else
disable.

Derrell

--
democracy n.
  A product so extensively exported that the domestic supply is depleted