Announcing Samba 4.0.0TP1

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Jan 24 22:36:10 GMT 2006

Hi Deryck,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:37:02AM -0600, Deryck Hodge wrote about 'Re: Announcing Samba 4.0.0TP1':
> > With 3 years of development under our belt since Tridge first proposed
> > a new Virtual File System (VFS) layer for Samba3 (a project which
> > eventually lead to our Active Directory efforts), it was felt that we
> > should create something we could 'show off' to our users.  This is a
> > Technology Preview (TP), aimed at allowing users, managers and
> > developers to see how we have progressed, and to invite feedback and
> > support.
> I added release announcements and news for TP1 on samba.org.
Thanks. If there's anything else you want me to do after a release,
please let me know.

> Do you think you should send this mail to the general samba list, too?
>  Given the note for "users" and "managers" above, there will certainly
> be more of those on samba than samba-technical.
I don't think that's a good idea yet - we're mostly just looking for
people (users, managers) who are actively following Samba development and
can cope with software that has little documentation. Perhaps
on a future release.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--