Read-only file access

Madhusudan R madhurjf at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 05:51:51 GMT 2006

Hello,

Could anyone please let me know how a client that tries to open a file
(MS office files) that's already opened by another client, is notified
that the file can be opened for reading only, which ultimately results
in the read-only box popping up on the client side? I would be
interested in knowing:

1. What smb packets do I have to look closely at to spot this message
sent by the samba server to the client?
2. Details of the proceedings on the samba server which ultimately
results in the message being sent out on the network.

Thanks,
Madhu

P.S: I haven't subscribed to the list. So please ensure that you mark
me a copy of your reply.