svn commit: samba r13017 - in trunk/source: lib utils

Thu Jan 19 08:59:37 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:52:14AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Apart from that, back to "net sam rights". I think it's a bit difficult
> conceptually to have parts of our database only accessible via rpc. If we went
> down that path fully we could also dump pdbedit, smbpasswd and 'net groupmap'.
> I know I'm exaggerating it a bit now, but it's hard to explain that parts of
> our "SAM" can be looked at directly and parts of it need a running smbd. Where
> do we draw the line?

Another thing: I can never remember the exact spelling of the privilege names.
Once I spent way too long to figure out why net rpc rights list would just not
list anything. The RPC call to list privileges can't tell you that the admin
does not have 'enable privileges = yes' set. I know this is just dumb admins,
but I had forgotten it once, and even in the debug output of smbd _nothing_ was
mentioned that this might be the problem.

Looking at source code is not a good debugging strategy, although it helped me
in this particlar case....

Volker