[Proposal] Samba 3.2.0 to replace 3.0.22

Henrik Nordstrom hno at squid-cache.org
Mon Jan 16 19:10:39 GMT 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 derrell at samba.org wrote:

> One possibility that solves the sorting issue is:
>
>  3.0.pre21.X
>  3.0.rc21.X
>  3.0.rel21[.X]
>
> The should sort properly for dpkg and, I presume, RPM.

Unfortunately not.. fails miserably on the next cycle..

3.0.pre21.x
3.0.pre22.x
3.0.rc21.x
3.0.rc22.x
3.0.rel21
3.0.rel21.x
3.0.rel22

What would work is something like the following scheme

3.0.21-devel-YYYYMMDD (nightlies before the first pre release)
3.0.21-preX
3.0.21-preX-YYYYMMDD  (nighlies after the preX release)
3.0.21-rcX
3.0.21-rcX-YYYYMMDD   (nighlies after the rcX rlease)
3.0.21-stable
3.0.22-devel-YYYYMMDD (nighlies after a stable release)
3.0.21-stableX        (avoid this)

where X <= 9. When X >= 10 there is problems again unless one switches to
using two digits by adding a 0 (or 1) after the curent digit.  i.e. 1 2
... 7 70 71 ... 99  (not xxx10 - xxx69 if xxx7 has been used)

The above scheme is not perfect in that there some package managers may
get confused on upgrades to a nightly if the packager has made many local
revisions of the corresponding base revision (more than one), but who
cares..

Regards
Henrik