[Proposal] Samba 3.2.0 to replace 3.0.22

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Mon Jan 16 13:54:48 GMT 2006

"Stefan (metze) Metzmacher" <metze at samba.org> writes:

> Lars Müller schrieb:
>> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:20:29AM -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I propose skipping any 3.1.x releases in spite of past discussions
>>> due to the expected turnaround time and start with the 3.2.0preX
>>> releases as soon as the SAMBA_3_2 branch is feature complete.
>>
>> Please let us change the pre and rc release number schema.  RPMished
>> products can not update from 3.0.21rc2 to a 3.0.21 final release as rc
>> or pre always is bigger while compared.
>>
>> Therfore I suggest something like this if we go for example from 3.0.20
>> to 3.0.21:
>>
>> For pre releases: 3.0.20.50preX
>> For rc releases:  3.0.20.90rcX
>
> then better,
>
> 3.0.20.98.X (for preX)
> 3.0.20.99.X (for rcX)
>
> but much, much better would be to just fix RPM...

It's not just RPM.  The Debian package manager (dpkg) works the same way.
1.2.3 sorts "less than" 1.2.3.anything.

One possibility that solves the sorting issue is:

  3.0.pre21.X
  3.0.rc21.X
  3.0.rel21[.X]

The should sort properly for dpkg and, I presume, RPM.

These also have the advantage of properly sorting "greater than" the old
3.0.20* so there's no problem migrating to this scheme.

Derrell