[Proposal] Samba 3.2.0 to replace 3.0.22

Lars Müller lmuelle at SuSE.de
Sat Jan 14 17:34:02 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:20:29AM -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:
[snip]
> I propose skipping any 3.1.x releases in spite of past discussions
> due to the expected turnaround time and start with the 3.2.0preX
> releases as soon as the SAMBA_3_2 branch is feature complete.

Please let us change the pre and rc release number schema.  RPMished
products can not update from 3.0.21rc2 to a 3.0.21 final release as rc
or pre always is bigger while compared.

Therfore I suggest something like this if we go for example from 3.0.20
to 3.0.21:

For pre releases: 3.0.20.50preX
For rc releases:  3.0.20.90rcX

We might even do it much simpler if we use 3.0.20.9preX and 3.0.20.9rcX.

In any case 3.0.21 will be higher from the RPM version-release point of
view.

What's the profit for our users and Samba.org?

a) Users can update easily with rpm -F *.rpm and no longer have to use
the --force or --oldpackage option.
b) We might get more testers as they never will run in trouble while
updating from a final release to pre, to rc, and the final next release.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team