SAMBA LDAP Integrity

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jan 12 14:31:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 12:56 +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:43:01PM +0200, Yovko Yovkov wrote:
> > In short - I am asking to be replaced smb.conf with ldap entry. This
> > will give us possibilities to create a nice graphical tools to control
> > samba.
>
> I would strongly prefer that an administrator could choose to still have
> an smb.conf file. Configuration files in UNIX and UNIX-like systems are
> text files in /etc, not massive binary registries. There is a plethora of
> good, unified, standard tools for handling /etc text files -- many which
> do not have useful equivalents for whatever daemon authors prefers for
> storage format.

As Volker remembered, I started back some year ago, and ldap based
configuration module. It was just a side tool with smb.conf and it was
called just by inclusion in smb.conf
That made it also less flexible than an ldap directory can be, but let
you choose whether to use it or to put data in smb.conf
So you didn't lost the chance to keep data in smb.conf the formats were
perfectly interchangeable.
I think it was a bit raw but a valid idea, but then nobody seemed
interested and I had no time to really push for it.

Simo.