samba4 build system and patsubst in Makefile

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Wed Jan 11 21:24:38 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 22:00 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> Björn JACKE schrieb:
> > On 2006-01-11 at 11:53 +0100 Stefan (metze) Metzmacher sent off:
>
> Hi Björn,
>
> on IRIX (us4.samba.org) this doesn't work:
>
> bash-2.04$ cat Makefile.patsubst
> ALL = $$(echo "all")
> all:
>         @echo $(ALL)
> bash-2.04$ make -f Makefile.patsubst
> $(echo all)
>
> on linux it's like this
>
> metze at SERNOX:~/devel/samba/4.0> cat Makefile.patsubst
> ALL = $$(echo "all")
> all:
>         @echo $(ALL)
> metze at SERNOX:~/devel/samba/4.0> make -f Makefile.patsubst
> all
>
> James: is there a way on IRIX to run a script when a Makefile variable
> is gets expanded?

It depends on which make you are using. There are a couple of different
ones shipped with IRIX. My 2c is that the Samba4 build should simply
require GNU make and use all of it's features.

If you are using {p,s}make, you can use this syntax:
	ALL != echo "all"

IRIX make also supports a #! syntax, so you can select a particular make
by having this as the first line in your Makefile:
	#!gmake

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org