Client-only messaging

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 11 06:56:23 GMT 2006

I'm looking at the code required to send a GetDC request from a client
program, or a client script running as part of a server program.

I was hoping to use the messaging system, just like winbindd does.
However, the messaging system expects a unique ID.  What is the
preferred way to get a unique messaging ID?

Also, is there a way we can access this without being root?  (I want
'net' to be able to perform a GetDC request when searching for a DC to
work against.  This should replace the current 'password server' hack)