[Proposal] Samba 3.2.0 to replace 3.0.22

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jan 9 20:04:05 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 10:34 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> The problem here is that no one has even shown an inkling
> of either being interested in doing releases or being
> involved enough to give me confidence that they would
> do sufficient job at it.

Well, being a release manager is a great responsibility, moreover it
requires a lot of time to do that, it's not easy to step in if you want
to be serious.

> I think we speculate too much.  Over 3 years of 3.0.x releases
> and people are mailing about 2.2.x ?  I know one University that
> just swapped over to 3.0.14a from 2.2.8x last month.

Yeah, I do not mind people that stick with a release, the people that we
should care more are people that constantly keep the system on par with
the latest stable release, there's still people running 2.0.x
installation everywhere and they do not want to make any change (even
when we get out security updates). So I do not think these people will
be hurt by 3.0.x fading out, when they will decide to switch we will be
at some very far release from the one they have and they will have to
make their test systems anyway either it be 3.2.x or 4.x or 5 ...

Simo.