kerberos problem, samba with netbios alias as AD member

Hansjörg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Mon Jan 9 10:32:48 GMT 2006

Hi,

we are running a samba server in a w2k3 AD Domain.

The server has the netbios name
netbios name = RM-SAMBA01
and several netbios aliases
netbios aliases = PRINTSERVER, RM-SW, RM-OS-IMAGES, RM-USERSTORE,
PUBLICATIONS

When a user connects from a Windows workstation (logged in to the
domain) to rm-samba01,
hw gets acces without beeing prompted to a password.
If he connects to PRINTSERVER he is asked for a password.
Even if he enters DOMAIN\username
pair, access is denied.

samba logs
[2005/12/28 21:19:24, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(180)
  Failed to verify incoming ticket!

The problem is not reproducable.
Some workstation can connect to printserver without a password prompt.

I have tried to join the domain
with the netbios alias names to,
but with no success (join works fine, but problem still exists).
net ads join "Computers" -n printserver

Do I have to take special care with samba, netbios aliases and kerberos?
Do I have to use a special kerberos configuration?

Thank you very much

Hansjörg

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/